Location: Remotely from anywhere in Canada.
Salary: $45,000 + commensurate with skills and experience; inclusive of 10% in lieu of benefits and pension; + $300/mo office allowance.
Closing Date: Tuesday, August 15, at noon ET.
Duration: One-year full-time contract with renewal a possibility.
Who we are:
Independent Jewish Voices Canada (IJV) is a grassroots organization grounded in Jewish tradition that opposes all forms of racism and advocates for justice and peace for all in Israel-Palestine. Our strength comes from our members. IJV has active chapters in cities and on university campuses across the country. IJV works in the following areas:
Palestine Solidarity: IJV was the first national Jewish organization to endorse the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement. We continue to support and defend BDS as well as to hold Canadian organizations accountable when complicit in Israeli oppression of Palestinians.
Anti-racism and Indigenous solidarity: IJV stands in solidarity with Indigenous peoples and with all marginalized peoples in Canada against racism, settler colonialism and white supremacy. IJV also works to combat antisemitism and distinguish it clearly from critiques of Zionism and Israeli policies.
Justice-Oriented Jewish Communities: IJV believes that no one should have to choose between embracing Judaism or Jewishness and supporting Palestinian rights. IJV chapters and campus clubs organize meaningful ritual gatherings that center on justice and critical reflection.
About the Position:
Working in collaboration with the National Coordinator and other IJV staff, the Communications and Media Lead will be responsible for the development and dissemination of internal and external communications for IJV. Responsibilities will include writing, soliciting and/or editing communications such as e-blasts and position statements as well as posting on social media platforms, maintaining IJV’s website, producing graphics, writing a monthly member newsletter and producing an Annual Report (in conjunction with other staff and members). The Communications and Media Lead will also be responsible for urgent written responses when necessary. This is a pivotal role within IJV.
● Superior written communications skills and a strategic approach to communications for advocacy work.
● Academic training in Middle East Studies, Communication, Jewish Studies, English, Journalism or other relevant field.
● Current, in-depth knowledge and critical analysis of the situation in Israel-Palestine and a strong commitment to the global movement for Palestinian human rights.
● Knowledge of Canadian Jewish communities and their institutional politics.
● Two years of experience in an organizational communications role or equivalent would be an asset, preferably in the non-profit or political advocacy sector.
● Collaborative spirit and ability to work in an equitable and respectful manner with a diverse group of volunteer activists.
● Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression politics.
● Ability to work independently and, at the same time, be prepared to confer with IJV leaders and staff when required. Ability to manage time in order to meet deadlines, including when urgent tasks appear unexpectedly.
● Ability to identify and pursue opportunities for press coverage by traditional and new media.
● Experience working strategically with core social platforms including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
● Experience maintaining and updating a website.
● Graphic design skills to create simple web graphics, format documents, create flyers, etc.
● Experience with fundraising communication an advantage.
● Ability to work in French is an advantage.
IJV is an organization committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We encourage and welcome applications from people from all communities. Accommodation in the hiring process and during employment will be provided in accordance with the applicable provincial Human Rights legislation.
This is a full-time remote position open to anyone legally permitted to work in Canada. To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com no later than Aug. 15, 2023, at noon.
Queries can also be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.