Independent Jewish Voices Canada
Membership Engagement Coordinator
Salary: $40,370 inclusive of 10% in lieu of benefits.
Duration: One-year full-time contract with the possibility of renewal.
Location: Remotely from anywhere in Canada. Teleconferencing and travel are required
Closing Date: Friday, January 29, 2021 5PM EST.
Who we are:
Independent Jewish Voices Canada (IJV) is a grassroots organization grounded in Jewish tradition that opposes all forms of racism and advocates for justice and peace for all in Israel-Palestine. Our strength comes from our members. IJV has active chapters in cities and on university campuses across the country. IJV works in the following areas:
Palestine Solidarity: IJV was the first national Jewish organization to endorse the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement. We continue to support and defend BDS as well as to hold Canadian organizations accountable when complicit in Israeli oppression of Palestinians.
Anti-racism and Indigenous solidarity: IJV stands in solidarity with Indigenous peoples and with all marginalized peoples in Canada against racism, settler colonialism and white supremacy. IJV also works to combat antisemitism and distinguish it clearly from critiques of Zionism and Israeli policies.
Justice-Oriented Jewish Communities: IJV believes that no one should have to choose between embracing Judaism or Jewishness and supporting Palestinian rights. IJV chapters and campus clubs organize meaningful ritual gatherings that centre justice and critical reflection.
About the Position:
The Coordinator will work closely with staff (National Coordinator, Communications Lead, Admin Assistant) and volunteers (Steering Committee, Chapter Council, committees and members) as well as with partners, allies and other stakeholders.
The primary focus of the Coordinator is to help develop, coordinate, and assist IJV members and allies carry out campaign plans at the local, regional and national levels, The Coordinator will work to develop capacity in local chapters, assist with the development of campaign materials and strategies and develop secondary/new leadership at the local level.
This position requires a collaborative team player with excellent campaign development skills and political organizing/engagement skills, who is driven and able to function independently in a dynamic, fast- paced political environment.
Current IJV Campaigns
Our NO IHRA campaign focus is on preventing the adoption of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance Working Definition of Antisemitism (IHRA WDA). IJV’s goal is to deepen the local, provincial, national and international organizing to prevent the adoption of the IHRA definition.
In 2011, IJV also launched a Stop the JNF campaign to challenge the Jewish National Fund’s charitable status.
While IJV may engage in additional campaigns in the future, we are committed to the above two campaigns.
Both campaigns are run by a grassroots committee of dedicated members and staff.
Goals and responsibilities:
- Refine strategies and methods to advance our campaigns, including public education and grassroots mobilization around Palestinian rights and solidarity.
- Help mobilize IJV chapters, members and allies to advance IJV campaign goals.
- Coordinate the IJV Chapter Council including planning skill-development and other educational workshops for Chapter Council members.
- Identify and provide support for secondary/new leadership and members on carrying out the NO IHRA and Stop the JNF campaigns and other campaigns that may be launched.
- Link members who wish to become more involved to appropriate IJV committees.
- Implement outreach plans and tools to engage members and allies. This might include personal meetings, one-on-one collaboration, tele- or video communications, trainings, workshops, webinars, press conferences and day to day support during key campaign moments, including leadership development and political education.
- Work with staff & volunteers to produce basic online and printed campaign materials such as organizing, protest and live event guides, template letters and petitions, talking points, social media, eblasts, etc.
- Produce and update an organizing manual for chapters.
- Produce and update a Members Handbook
- Plan and implement a yearly membership campaign.
- Prepare members for live interventions, meeting with office holders, and protests.
- Design, develop, and implement culturally responsive and inter-generational activities to assist in the development of local chapter infrastructure, with particular emphasis on the Toronto chapter.
- Oversee the drafting of materials and templates to target political parties, lawmakers and office holders.
Student and Campus responsibilities:
- Support strong and sustainable student-run IJV chapters on campuses and build IJV’s brand.
- Assist IJV campus chapters to develop relationships with other student groups, faculty and administrators.
- Work alongside students to advance IJV’s campaigns on campuses
Internal IJV Responsibilities:
- Produce reports on progress made and learnings to the NO IHRA and the Stop JNF Committees.
- Assist in fundraising.
- Regularly create work plans with supervisors to ensure achievement of goals.
- Ensure accurate/timely reporting on the finances of the campaigns.
- Participate in Steering Committee meetings, supervision and team meetings.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in an organizer role in a social justice organization.
- Excellent communication, teaching, interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Familiarity with legislative and academic decision-making processes.
- Experience with campaign development.
- Experience with developing and implementing outreach plans and membership-building programs.
- Skill and experience with leadership/organizing training and support for grassroots leaders.
- Bilingual English/French a definite asset.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with basic database management.
- Excellent time & project management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Familiarity with and commitment to the Palestinian solidarity movement.
- Knowledge of the Canadian Jewish community.
This position requires teleconferencing and travel (Covid 19 restrictions permitting).
IJV is an organization committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We encourage and welcome applications from people from all communities. Gender non-conforming and female-identified candidates are encouraged to apply. Accommodation in the hiring process and during employment will be provided in accordance with the applicable provincial Human Rights legislation.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by Friday, January 29, 2021, no later than 5 PM (EST) to email@example.com.
Queries can also be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.